Sunday, January 29, 2017

Strength

I no longer have the strength to
open water bottles
or the packages of my new contact lenses
or bags of chocolates
or chips.

I continue to have strength
to teach teachers
and encourage others
and apologize to friends.

I no longer have the strength to
put on my socks
or cut meat
or talk for hours on end.

I continue to have strength
to kiss my daughter goodnight
and scratch my husband's back
and hold and love on my friend's babies.

I no longer have the strength to
pull down tight pants
or take care of some feminine needs
or wiggle my toes.

I continue to have strength
to voice my concerns
and email my senators
and protect the rights of others.

I no longer have the strength
to turn over in bed
or bake chocolate chip cookies
or make Bubbe brisket.

I continue to have strength
to wash my hands
and sit under the shower
and run the soapy washcloth over my face.

I no longer have the strength
to open pill bottles
or make some decisions
or argue with those I love.

I continue to have strength
to hope
and live
and love
and laugh
and cry.

2 comments:

  1. Thank you for clarifying, in stark, loving reality, what is important and why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are amazing! And you continue to be smart, funny and the incredibly strong woman we all admire and love. Thank you for writing this.
    I love you my friend.

    ReplyDelete