Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Hairy Legs

My legs are really hairy.
Or at least 3/4 of my legs are hairy.
Let me explain.
I haven't been able to shave my legs in a VERY long time. Maybe since the summer. Well at least since the weather became "wear long pants" weather and not "wear shorts" weather. Adam has offered but honestly he has so many other responsibilities that I just didn't pursue his offer. On top of the fact that the last time I shaved my legs I lost my grip on the razor and it landed just so that I cut my right big toe. And because my circulation is bad, it took a really long time for it to heal. (Kind of like when I cut my nose shaving my legs in high school, right Lisa?) But I digress.
Last night I had this little burst of energy at about 10:30, so I sat myself down on the toilet and decided to shave my legs. Got myself all set up - razor, washcloth, moisturizing soap, towel on the floor - ready to go. I began to shave my right leg and quickly realized the size of my legs plus the length of my leg hair did NOT equal the amount of energy or dexterity I could fathom up at 10:30 at night. So, the bottom half of my right leg is shaved.

This is my new approach to life, right? I do what I can. Feeling happy and positive - I make the most out of it by talking or texting with friends. I go out and enjoy the day. Having a tough day - I reach out to my village for support and ride the wave of grief until it passes. Feel the need to shave my legs - I do as much as I can for as long as I can and then go back to it another day.

This is how I am going to ride out the new presidency as well. I have made it no secret that DT scares the sh#t out of me. I feel that the future of our nation, our communities, our diversity, our public education system, our progress, and our families are at risk. It is imperative that we do things to counteract that fear, and for me that is continuing to be kind. I am going to do what I can to let those around me know that I support them and love them. I am going to do what I can to promote diversity and tolerance. I am going to do what I can to let my elected officials know that we have a voice and it needs to be heard. I am going to do what I can. I might not be able to march on January 21st, but I can email some of my senators. I might not be able to serve in the military, but I can show appreciation to those who can. I might not be able to physically attend protests to fight Islamophobia, but I can reach out to my Muslim friends and ask them what they would like me to do. And if and/or when it becomes too much, I will sit back and rest and let time wash over me so I have the strength to move forward and do it again.

Now, my right lower leg is shaved. Smooth and moisturized. Looking pretty good, I must say. The other 3/4 of my legs are still hairy and a bit dry. I will get to those parts when I can.

1 comment: