Monday, October 31, 2016

The Post With No Title

I just finished unloading and loading the dishwasher.  My arms feel heavy, like they have been lifting weights.  It is taking a really long time to type, and I keep making many typing errors.  I put on my wrist support but that doesn't seem to make a difference.  In theory, I should probably stop typing and give my upper body a rest.  That would be the smart thing to do.  But honestly, I am kind of pissed off so I am going to show my arms who is boss and continue on.  I know, so mature.

I had the most fabulous weekend.  I did so many things, lived so many moments, hugged and kissed so many friends - it was lovely.

I went to the freezing, Friday night football game.  A friend of mine told me that because of my perspective she is taking in more of the small moments in her life.  She showed me some pictures of her son as they honored him during his last football game.  I was so moved by her sharing this with me, I'm afraid I was speechless.

I was able to witness the gathering of my daughter and her friends, one who they haven't seen in a long time.  I watched as they hugged and laughed, and cheesed it up for the camera.

I had breakfast with my sister in law and brother in law.  We laughed and talked about some hard stuff.  You have to talk about the hard stuff, right?  And then we planned for some fun stuff!

I did a sleepover at a fancy hotel with Abby and Lisa.  We ate a lot of really yummy food, drank delicious wine, talked for hours, snuggled in bed, talked for more hours, ate more yummy food, and began planning our next get away.

I had enlightening text message conversations with my daughter and her friends about things they definitely don't want me to talk about here!

I came home and watched Ean play baseball, talked to my parents, went out to dinner with Adam and some dear friends.  And then I just collapsed.  Honestly I was so tired.  But it was that kind of tired you feel when you have loved and laughed for many hours on end; the kind of tired where your cheeks hurt from laughing and you can still feel the salt residue on your face from laughing so hard you were crying.  That is the best kind of tired.

This weekend didn't come with its challenges.  It did.  I had to handle a home situation while I was away, but did.  The fork I was using at breakfast was too heavy for my hand and I felt like I was going to drop it, so I asked for a salad fork and that worked just fine.  I had a little ostomy bag issue once I got home, but managed to handle it without embarrassing consequences.  I made little adjustments (like any person would) to make the most of my time and experiences.  And we are starting to make some adjustments to our house in order for it to be easier for me to be independent. Our dear friend Danny put up some grab bars in my bathroom and shower.

I just reread this.  Its kind of boring.  Like, really who cares what I did with my weekend.  I guess it is just important to me, as things begin to change, that I remember that I went about living my life. That I didn't only celebrate the big stuff, but also the small stuff.  As we were planning a get away this weekend, Adam and I laughed a little thinking that it was like planning out my bucket list.  I guess you can't really help that when you have an illness like ALS.  Someone else reminded me that I can live a long time.  I really do know that.  But its possible that I won't.  So I go about trying to make the most of all my moments.  And if I get two years of these moments, its okay.  If I get fifteen years of these moments, better yet.

4 comments:

  1. I care! I think of you all the time and wonder how you are doing and how you've fared lately, since we don't often run into each other anymore with kid things. I care!!! I loved this post. Keep em coming!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I also love the everyday moments. Sometimes those are the ones that mean the most.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not boring! Love these posts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love reading your thoughts and perspectives. ❤️

    ReplyDelete